Re: Help installing 8.0.2 rpms on RH 3.0

Tom Lane wrote:

"Chris Hoover" <revoohc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
... However, I am having some difficulty installing the
postgresql.org RH 3.0 rpms for Postgresql 8.0.2.

Up until really recently (read: not yet shipped for Red Hat, and I'm
not sure about the PGDG RPMs), the 8.0 RPMs had the wrong Obsoletes:
data in them for replacing rh-postgresql RPMs with later postgresql
RPMs.  So I'd definitely suggest removing *all* the rh-postgresql RPMs
before you try to install newer stuff.  It wasn't real clear whether
that was the sum total of your problem however...

Virgin install of RH ES 3.0 from cd's (no update run right now)

It wouldn't be a bad idea to do "up2date" first.  For all you know
you are fighting a bug in RPM itself.

			regards, tom lane

Tom,

It looks like it is a specific problem with the 8.0.2 rpms.  Below is
what I wrote about trying the 8.0.1 rpms.

Ok, I thought I'd try the 8.0.1 rpms just for giggles.  I was able to
install the postgresql-libs rpm for 8.0.1 with out a problem.  It looks
like there is a bug in the 8.0.2 if you are installing from scratch.
Can someone please point me to the proper place to log this bug.

(sorry for the delay in response, I had some mail problems with my isp)

Chris