Re: Mysql to postgres

Theo Galanakis <Theo.Galanakis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> There may be a way to change the database in postgres to be case
> insensitive. i.e. change some of the operations such as "text=text" to be
> case insensitive. Does this sound Insane?

I think it would be exceedingly unwise to muck with the standard
behavior of a commonly used datatype.  What some other people have
done is to invent a variant datatype "citext" that shares most of the
same operations as "text", but has case-insensitive comparisons.
Then you only need to hack your table definitions, not your application
code.

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/citext/projdisplay.php

I think you could probably also do it by building a locale whose
comparisons are case-insensitive, but I don't know enough about
locales to be sure.

			regards, tom lane