Re: Automatic Backups

On Apr 8, 2005, at 4:00 PM, David A. Leedom wrote:

I found that the registry entries use a GUID product code on the final node of the registry. Is there any way to link this back to the running database?

I could hard code the product codes into my backup app. If for some reason there are more than one Postgres installs on one system would there be a way to determine the product code of the database I am backing up via the connect string? (System tables/variables?)

Another possibility is that I could include the pg_dump/restore utilities with the backup app and set it up to only backup databases of the correct version.

One idea is to use "pg_ctl.exe status" to determine if the server associated with the registry entry is running. I think you'll also need to specify the data directory with this command, so hopefully that is in the registry also.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL