Re: Online Backups with 8.0 -- Confused

Simon Riggs wrote:

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 18:41 -0500, Jason DiCioccio wrote:

 Now, realize that ..0022 was not in the archive directory, and
actually is still not.  However, it seems to be requiring it.  Do I
have to wait for this log to be archived?

Yes.

Is there a way that I can
force the archival of this WAL log?

No, other than write lots of stuff to a table.

Straight answers, but I hope that helps.

In retrospect, there is a slight timing error between end backup and
archival of next WAL log. The first-release design for PITR didn't fully
cover lower traffic situations, so in those cases the timing error
becomes noticeable. You're not the first to observe this, though only by
about a month.

I'm considering options for the next release, since major change seems
to be required to the basic xlog handling mechanisms.

If postgres is trying to read an archive log file which was not yet generated, why cant it read from the transaction log ? I mean the current last transaction log before you start the restoration process, wouldnt that work ? I tried restore couple of time on postgres 8 it didnt give me this error, can anyone tell me how to reproduce this error, we are planning to move to 8.0 soon and I will be using online backups .

Best Regards, Simon Riggs