Re: A question about QuickQuiz 5.46

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 10:27:48PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> On Fri, 19 May 2023 06:28:47 +0000, Hao Lee wrote:
> > On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 10:50:51AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> Right.
> >> And that's exactly what is mentioned in the answer to the quiz.
> >>
> >> I guess it confused you because you didn't expect such an easy one,
> >> no ? :-)
> >
> > In fact I'm confused about the question description.
> > I believe that this quiz should focus on the concurrency of global
> > variables, rather than on the concurrency of the atomic variable
> > `counterandmax`, which is currently the main focus of the description.
>
> Hmm, sorry but I'm afraid I don't get your point ...
>
> Could you share the question you'd expect to see in place of
> Quick Quiz 5.46?

Hi, I don't think this question should exist according to my
understanding...

Let's approach this question from a different perspective. The answer
emphasizes that the gblcnt_mutex prevents concurrency problems. Let's
assume that neither balance_count() nor flush_local_count() is holding
the gblcnt_mutex. Would the counterandmax variable encounter concurrency
problems? I don't think so because counterandmax is an atomic variable
and is always safe, even without using any locks.

>         Thanks, Akira
>

> >>         Thanks, Akira

[Index of Archives]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]