Re: Is parallel programing hard...

OK, MacTex worked much better for me, meaning that this time it did
not hang when I attempted to install it.  However, once installed,
it complains that it is missing xcrun, whatever that might be.

My thought is to get a release out, then see what can be done about
making this build on MacOS.  Seem reasonable?

Hey, I said I had access to MacOS, not that I was at all competent at
installing software on it.  ;-)

							Thanx, Paul

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 03:36:20PM +0000, Snir, Marc wrote:
> I used MacTex to install Latex and mostly used Brew to install Linux tools
>
> On Jun 27, 2022, at 10:19 AM, Akira Yokosawa <akiyks@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:akiyks@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 07:56:28 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 11:52:18PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 07:11:06 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 07:32:29PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> [...]
>
> For the record:
>
> It turns out that Marc attempted the build under macOS 12.4, which
> resulted in a corrupted autodate.tex.
> It means utilities/autodate.sh doesn't work as expected under macOS.
>
> The cause might be the difference of primitive tools such as "date",
> "sed", and "grep". We assume those from GNU, while macOS has those
> of BSD origin.
>
> As I don't have a macOS system at my disposal, I can't help further.
>
> (I was surprised to know that the build scripts worked without a fatal
> error until the first run of pdflatex.)
>
> In theory, it is possible to use the "findutils" and "brew" commands to
> set up gnu utilities on MacOS, and to do so such that your PATH variable
> can be used to choose whether the default is the MacOS versions or the
> gnu versions. Or so it says here:
>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.google.com/search?q=latex*on*macos&oq=latex*on*macos&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l9.3869j1j7&client=ubuntu&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8__;KysrKw!!DZ3fjg!4_j5YLKDbzfq9B7h6-F8zxtMnksVmYkZGrTI8UNScPy0Hqxl4_ieTdmHu_WSoG9aMUBWzuwNnob4gw$
>
> I do have an old MacOS system, but it is at home and I am on travel.
>
> How old is it? :-)
>
> About three years, but running a current MacOS.
>
> I would need to install LaTeX on it (last time I tried, the installation
> hung), but Marc proved that it is possible to actually install it. ;-) If
> I can pass that hurdle, I will try making perfbook use the gnu utilities.
>
> Or is this where someone tells me that LaTeX on MacOS make use of
> scripts that rely on the MacOS variants of these commands? ;-)
>
> I don't think so.
> If you can make scripts under utilities/ behave as expected,
> "make" should work.
>
> Except:
>
> Some of perl scripts have shebang lines of:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> , and are invoked directly from recipes in Makefile.
> You need to change them to:
>
> #!/usr/bin/env perl
>
> , so that your PATH setting is respected. You might need similar
> tweaks for scripts of other languages.
> I was confused. perl is perl. There is no GNU or BSD flavor...
>
> Thanks, Akira
>

> Good luck!
>
> I will need it. ;-)
>
> Thanx, Paul
>
> Thanks, Akira
>

> Thoughts?
>
> Thanx, Paul
>
> [...]

[Index of Archives]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]