A question about MESI in appendix C.2 Transition (h)

Hello,

I have a question about the MESI protocol in appendix C.2.

As said in C.2.1, the cache line in the shared state is up-to-date. And,
C.2.2 says implicitly a writeback message is used to writeback a dirty
cache line.

Then in C.2.3 Transition (h) Shared->Exculsive, it says:

	Alternatively, all other CPUs eject this cache line from their
	caches via "writeback" messages (presumably to make room for
	other cache lines), so that this CPU is the last CPU caching it.

As some CPUs share this cache line, it must be clean. I think other CPUs
only need to discard the corresponding cache line in their cache without
any additional operation when receiving a invalidate message. Why do
they need to send a "writeback" message?

Thanks,
Hao Lee

[Index of Archives]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]