Re: Section 9.5: Nobody expects the Spanish Acquisition!

(+explicit Cc: Paul)

Hi Elad,

On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 10:20:52 -0500, Elad Lahav wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> As promised, I have a potentially more interesting comment regarding
> Section 9.5. Throughout this section, from the very first example, the
> writer uses release semantics, but the readers are not obligated to
> use acquire semantics, at least on sensible architectures (with
> apologies to employees of HP nee Compaq nee Digital).

  ;-)

> If I understand correctly, these relaxed semantics are the result of
> an address dependency, with the data protected by the RCU critical
> section residing in a structure whose address is stored by the pointer
> dereferenced by a reader. The reader cannot consider any data outside
> of this structure as protected by the critical section. This is a
> critical point without which the examples won't work reliably.

I think this is mostly covered in Section 9.5.2.1 "Publish-Subscribe
Mechanism" and Figure 9.10 "Publication/Subscription Constraints".

> Am I missing something? If not, I think that this point should be
> emphasized early on, with a link to Section 15.2.3.

There is such a reference in Section 9.5.2.1 just below Quick Quiz
9.28.  You mean you find this too late?

        Thanks, Akira

BTW, I couldn't figure out what you meant by "the Spanish
Acquisition"...

> --Elad

[Index of Archives]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]