Re: [Suggestion -perfbook] Abandon font embedding by gnuplot

On Sun, Sep 05, 2021 at 08:05:44PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 17:45:13 +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> [...]
> >
> > I think the fontfile option is for embedding font data into .eps
> > files.
> >
> > Now we are doing .eps -> .pdf conversion via a2ping (or ghostscript),
> > so I don't think font embedding is necessary.
> >
> > Furthermore, gnuplot's default of Helvetica font is overridden on-the-fly
> > by fixfonts.sh and its friends.
> >
> > So there is no concern of embedding Helvetica font in the generated
> > pdf figures.
> >
> > In the test on my side, generated pdf figures have the same font
> > properties regardless of the fontfile option.
> >
> > So I'd like to ask you if it is ok to remove those fontfile options
> > in the plot scripts under CodeSamples/.
> > Removing them will reduce .eps file size and hopefully might reduce
> > time of (the lots of) .eps -> .pdf conversions.
>
> Well, in reality, eps -> .pdf conversion takes longer when
> the fontfile option is removed.
> I guess this is because ghostscript needs to fetch a proper font
> file on the system to embed used font data into PDF.
>
> So, I'm retracting this suggestion.
>
> Sorry for the noise.

Not a problem, in fact, thank you for trying it out.

> > Side note: plot.sh under formal/data should be moved under
> > CodeSamples/formal/ for the sake of consistency, I suppose.
>
> I'll try this directory move.

Sounds good, and I am looking forward to seeing the patch.

							Thanx, Paul

[Index of Archives]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]