Re: [Possible BUG] count_lim_atomic.c fails on POWER8

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 10:09:22PM +0800, Junchang Wang wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 5:45 PM Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 10:11:18AM +0800, Junchang Wang wrote:
> > > Hi Akira,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the mail. My understanding is that PPC uses LL/SC to
> > > emulate CAS by using a tiny loop. Unfortunately, the LL/SC loop itself
> > > could fail (due to, for example, context switches) even if *ptr equals
> > > to old. In such a case, a CAS instruction in actually should return a
> > > success. I think this is what the term "spurious fail" describes. Here
> > > is a reference:
> > > http://liblfds.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Article:CAS_and_LL/SC_Implementation_Details_by_Processor_family
> >
> > First, thank you both for your work on this!  And yes, my cmpxchg() code
> > is clearly quite broken.
> >
> > > It seems that __atomic_compare_exchange_n() provides option "weak" for
> > > performance. I tested these two solutions and got the following
> > > results:
> > >
> > >                            1      4      8     16     32    64
> > > my patch (ns)     35    34    37    73    142  281
> > > strong (ns)          39    39    41    79    158  313
> >
> > So strong is a bit slower, correct?
> >
> > > I tested the performance of count_lim_atomic by varying the number of
> > > updaters (./count_lim_atomic N uperf) on a 8-core PPC server. The
> > > first row in the table is the result when my patch is used, and the
> > > second row is the result when the 4th argument of the function is set
> > > to false(0). It seems performance improves slightly if option "weak"
> > > is used. However, there is no performance boost as we expected. So
> > > your solution sounds good if safety is one major concern because
> > > option "weak" seems risky to me :-)
> > >
> > > Another interesting observation is that the performance of LL/SC-based
> > > CAS instruction deteriorates dramatically when the number of working
> > > threads exceeds the number of CPU cores.
> >
> > If weak is faster, would it make sense to return (~o), that is,
> > the bitwise complement of the expected arguement, when the weak
> > __atomic_compare_exchange_n() fails?  This would get the improved
> > performance (if I understand your results above) while correctly handling
> > the strange (but possible) case where o==n.
> >
> > Does that make sense, or am I missing something?
>
> Hi Paul and Akira,
>
> Yes, the weak version is faster. The solution looks good. But when I
> tried to use the following patch
>
> #define cmpxchg(ptr, o, n) \
> ({ \
>         typeof(*ptr) old = (o); \
>         (__atomic_compare_exchange_n(ptr, (void *)&old, (n), 1,
> __ATOMIC_SEQ_CST, __ATOMIC_SEQ_CST))? \
>                                 (o) : (~o); \
> })
>
> gcc complains of my use of complement symbol
>
> ../api.h:769:12: error: wrong type argument to bit-complement
>               ^
>
> Any suggestions?

You might need to do this for the macro argument: "(~(o))".

Another possibility is ((o) + 1), which would work for pointers as well
as for integers.

							Thanx, Paul

[Index of Archives]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]