Re: Question of usage of per_thread()

On Tue, Oct 02, 2018 at 07:48:15AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> [...]
> >> out?
> >>
> >> As for line 14, as per_thread() was derived from per_cpu() of kernel
> >> API, I looked for call sites of per_cpu() in the kernel source tree.
> >>
> >> There are very few cases where READ_ONCE/WRITE_ONCE is used along
> >> with per_cpu(). There are two READ_ONCEs with per_cpu() in
> >> kernel/rcu/srcutree.c, whose author is none other than you.
> >> Are those READ_ONCEs necessary?
> >>
> >> I don't grasp the actual definition of per_cpu() macro.
> >> Definition of per_thread() macro under CodeSamples/api-pthreads/
> >> does not look so complicated, but contains array indexing,
> >> which might be good enough to prevent optimization in the loop.
> >>
> >> I'm not sure, but my gut feeling is that READ_ONCE/WRITE_ONCE
> >> is necessary to access an unannotated variable. If we need
> >> volatility for sure, we could modify the definition of annotating
> >> macros/functions.
> >>
> >> Can you enlighten me?
> >
> > Yes, I do need to expand on this, both in perfbook and in order to inspect
> > my usage in Linux-kernel RCU.  Please see below for my current outline,
> > and any and all feedback would be deeply appreciated!
> >

> So, I applied your outline to accesses in Listing 5.3.
> See inline comments below for my observation.
>
> > 							Thanx, Paul

> > Plain accesses, that is, without either READ_ONCE() or WRITE_ONCE():
> > o	Only accessed under lock.
> > o	Only accessed by owning CPU/thread.
> > o	Only modified by owning CPU/thread under lock, and otherwise
> > 	accessed only either while holding lock or by owning CPU/thread.
> >
> > WRITE_ONCE() for modifications, READ_ONCE() for non-owning CPUs/threads
> > not holding lock:
> > o	Only modified while holding lock by owning CPU/thread,
> > 	could be read from anywhere by anyone.
> >
> > WRITE_ONCE() for modifications, READ_ONCE() for CPUs/threads not holding
> > lock:
> > o	Only modified while holding lock, could be read anywhere by
> > 	anyone.
> >
> > WRITE_ONCE() for modifications, READ_ONCE() for non-owning
> > CPUs/threads:
> > o	Only modified by owning CPU/threads, could be read anywhere
> > 	by anyone.
>
> Listing 5.3's per-thread variable "counter" looks covered here.
> So the write part of the increment on line 5 needs WRITE_ONCE().
> Read access on line 14 also needs READ_ONCE().
>
> Read part of the increment doesn't need READ_ONCE(), I guess.
>
> Line 5 would look like:
>
>     WRITE_ONCE(__get_thread_var(counter), __get_thread_var(counter) + 1);
>
> . Considering the cost of __get_thread_var(), there should be a room
> to help compilers to optimize by using a local pointer as follows:
>
>     static __inline__ void inc_count(void)
>     {
>         long *p_counter = &__get_thread_var(counter);
>
>         WRITE_ONCE(*p_counter, *p_counter + 1);
>     }
>
> . Does this look reasonable to you? Or is it better to also use

Yes, this is fine.  You don't need READ_ONCE() because threads only
modify the counters that they own, and this case is a thread reading
its own counter -- thus concurrent update cannot happen.

> But if __get_thread_var() does imply volatility, we can keep the
> current way of increment:
>
>         __get_thread_var(counter)++;

Unfortunately, it does not, at least not the way that it is currently
implemented.

> Thoughts?

Your taking the pointer and using WRITE_ONCE() looks good!

							Thanx, Paul

>         Thanks, Akira
>

> > Otherwise, READ_ONCE() and WRITE_ONCE() everywhere.
> >
> > But note that READ_ONCE() and WRITE_ONCE() provide absolutely no
> > ordering guarantees unless:
> >
> > o	There is only one variable being accesses, and all of those
> > 	accesses are of the same size and alignment.
> >
> > o	There is only one CPU/thread doing the accesses to all
> > 	of the variables during the timeframe of interest.
> >
> > o	There are other operations involved, for example, smp_mb().

[Index of Archives]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]