Re: different kind of memory reordering clarification

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 08:09:04PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 11:00:58AM +0800, Yubin Ruan wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Many thanks. But I am currently confused about the relationship between
> > > terminologies used in the Linux kernel and those used in some programming
> > > languages (e.g., C++), i.e., the relationships between
> > >
> > >     memory_order_release
> > >     memory_order_relaxed
> > >     memory_order_acquire
> > >     memory_order_seq_cst
> > >
> > > and those used in the kernel:
> > >
> > >     READ_ONCE() / WRITE_ONCE()
> > >     rmb() / wmb() / mb() / smp_mb()
> > >
> > > Any materials for that?
> >
> > Hmm, to be more exact, what I want is something like this:
> >
> >     “These primitives can be expressed directly in terms of the upcoming
> >     C++0x standard. For the smp_mb() primitive this correspondence is not
> >     exact; our memory barriers are somewhat stronger than the standard’s
> >     atomic_thread_fence(memory_order_seq_cst). The LOAD_SHARED() primitive
> >     maps to x.load(memory_order_relaxed) and STORE_SHARED() to
> >     x.store(memory_order_relaxed). The barrier() primitive maps to
> >     atomic_signal_fence(memory_order_seq_cst). In addition, rcu_dereference()
> >     maps to x.load(memory_order_consume) and rcu_assign_pointer() maps to
> >     x.store(v, memory_order_release).”
>
> Those are still valid.  Again, the other paper from my earlier email
> has more mappings.

Sorry I missed that! (trying to read too much all at once)

I read about atomic_ops here

    https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/core-api/atomic_ops.html

and find that many "atomic" operations such as
atomic_set/atomic_read/atomic_write does not require volatile semantic, nor
does it require alignment constraints that force the CPU to do load/store "at
once". In this situation, both the compiler and the processor are all allowed
to tear apart a read/write atomic operation. How can it be "atomic" in this
case?

Yubin