Re: Is WRITE_ONCE() enough to prevent invention of stores?

On 2017/09/17 14:55:08 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 08:04:21PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:

>>> I suspect that it will turn out to be impossible for the compiler to
>>> actually invent these stores in the general case.  For example, it might
>>> be that there is some lock held or other synchronization mechanism unknown
>>> to the compiler that prevents this behavior.  But I haven't fully worked
>>> this out yet.
>>
>> You mean the invented stores wouldn't be visible from other threads anyway?
>> In a meaningful parallel code, that can be the case.
>
> I mean that it is very hard to prove that inventing a store isn't introducing
> a data race, which would be a violation of the standard.  The one case I know
> of where the compiler can be sure that it is within its rights to invent the
> store is before a normal store to a variable.
>
> Otherwise, it might be (for example) that one must hold a lock to legally
> update a given variable, and that lock might or might not be held at a given
> point in the code.  But if the compiler sees a plain store, the compiler
> knows that it is OK to update at that point.  So the compiler can invent
> a store prior to the existing store, as long as there is no memory barrier,
> compiler barrier, lock acquisition/release, atomic operation, etc., between
> the original store and the compiler's invented store.

I think I understand.

>>> But I do know that if you just do plain stores, the compiler is fully
>>> within its rights to invent stores preceding any given plain store.
>>
>> So, the rules to use WRITE_ONCE() is something like the following?
>>
>> ---
>> 1) Declare the variable without volatile.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> 2) READ_ONCE() and plain loads can be mixed. A plain load will see
>>    a value at least newer than or equal to the one obtained at the
>>    program-order most recent READ_ONCE().
>
> I am not entirely sure of this one.  But if there is a barrier() or
> stronger between the READ_ONCE() and the plain load, then yes.

Ah, the compiler can reorder plain loads before READ_ONCE()...

I did a litmus test of a plain load after READ_ONCE(), but
such a reordering is not covered by herd7's litmus test, is it?

>> 3) WRITE_ONCE() should not be mixed with plain stores when invention
>>    of stores is to be avoided.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Invention of stores is the opposite of fusing stores.
>> Suppose you don't want to update progress in the while loop:
>>
>> 	while (!am_done()) {
>> 	  do_something(p);
>> 	  tmp++;
>> 	}
>> 	progress = tmp;
>>
>> The compiler might transform this to
>>
>> 	while (!am_done()) {
>> 	  do_something(p);
>> 	  progress++;
>> 	}
>
> But only as long as the compiler knows that do_something() doesn't
> contain any ordering directives.

Yes. I borrowed the fusing example in the text and it should have
the same assumption.

>> if it wants to avoid allocation of a register/stack to tmp for whatever
>> reason. WRITE_ONCE() prevents the unintended accesses of progress:
>>
>> 	while (!am_done()) {
>> 	  do_something(p);
>> 	  tmp++;
>> 	}
>> 	WRITE_ONCE(progress, tmp);
>
> Agreed, this would prevent the update to "progress" from being pulled
> into the loop.
>
>> ---
>> Adding this example in the text might be too verbose.
>> Would a Quick Quiz be reasonable?
>
> Might be good in the section on protecting memory references, and putting
> it into a quick quiz or two makes a lot of sense.

It's up to you where to put it.

And I now realize using READ_ONCE() and WRITE_ONCE() is quite tricky.
Missing one might not cause a problem today, but a smarter compiler
can expose the bug in the future...

This is scary.

         Thanks, Akira