Re: [Question] different kinds of memory barrier

On 2017年02月18日 01:32, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 12:22:01AM +0800, Yubin Ruan wrote:

>>> It does include Alpha.  Remember that Alpha's peculiarities occur when
>>> you -don't- have full memory barriers.  If you have a full memory barrier
>>> between each pair of accesses, then everything will be ordered on pretty
>>> much every type of CPU.
>>>

>> You mean this change would work for Alpha?
>>
>>> 1  struct el *insert(long key, long data)
>>> 2  {
>>> 3     struct el *p;
>>> 4     p = kmalloc(sizeof(*p), GFP_ATOMIC);
>>> 5     spin_lock(&mutex);
>>> 6     p->next = head.next;
>>> 7     p->key = key;
>>> 8     p->data = data;
>>
>>> 9     smp_mb();       /* changed `smp_wmb()' to `smp_mb()' */
>
> No, this would not help.
>
>>> 10    head.next = p;
>>> 11    spin_unlock(&mutex);
>>> 12 }
>>> 13
>>> 14 struct el *search(long key)
>>> 15 {
>>> 16    struct el *p;
>>> 17    p = head.next;
>>> 18    while (p != &head) {
>>> 19        /* BUG ON ALPHA!!! */
>
> 		smp_mb();
>
> This is where you need the additional barrier.  Note that in the Linux
> kernel, rcu_dereference() and similar primitives provide this barrier
> in Alpha builds.
>
> 							Thanx, Paul

Got it. So, regarding to memory barrier, I think I was confused with
"how one CPU deal with the the memory barriers of another CPU's memory".
As you have said, for any CPU, "all accesses by any CPU preceding a
given smp_mb() happened before any accesses by that same CPU following
that same smp_mb()", and all CPU "agree" with this. But that doesn't
mean the other CPUs will regard this access sequence(e.g, Alpha). Right ?

sorry for my annoying obsession with this. Thanks.

regards,
Yubin Ruan

>>> 20        if (p->key == key) {
>>> 21            return (p);