[Question] Quick Quiz B.13 help

Quick quiz B.13:
Suppose that lines 3-5 for CPUs 1 and 2 in Table B.4 are in an interrupt handler, and that the CPU 2's line 9 is running at process level. What changes, if any, are required to enable the code to work correctly, in other words, to prevent the assertion from firing?

I can not come up with any practical material for this quiz, because I don't really know the implication of "in an interrupt handler", and "running in process level".

The answer hints that one would need to ensure that the load of "e" precedes that of "a" and hint the Linux kernel implementation "barrier()". But how is that exactly? I am going to invest some time into the Linux kernel implementation. But I would really appreciate some hints about this, as I don't have so much kernel development experience before.

regards,
Yubin Ruan