Re: Approximate structure-allocation limit problem improvement

In fact, my point is exactly that we don't want to compare against
zero, we're just doing it to not underflow our counters ! That's why
in the code of the "Approximate structure-allocation limit problem",
sub_count handles 0 in a way that is symmetrical to the way add_count
handles the allocation limit that we want to enforce.

The issue is that it raise the following question: what to do when
both the thread counter (_ counter _) and the globalized counter (_
global_count _) are too small to substract delta ? It necessarly means
that some other thread counter is non-zero and the sum of all counters
is greater than delta, as we know a structure of size delta is still
allocated.

This issue is highlighted in the book in paragraph 5.3.3 Simple Limit
Counter discussion, with the sentence "Similarly, sub_ count() can
fail even when the aggregate value of the counter is nowhere near
zero."

For example, just after program starts (all counters are 0): thread A
allocates a structure of size 10. Counter of thread A is 10, global
counter and counter of thread B are both 0. The structure ownership is
passed to thread B that wants to deallocate it. But sub_count finds
that thread B counter is 0 so it takes the slow path, checking global
counter that is also 0. It therefore fails. What should the program do
in this case ? Keep the structure and try to deallocate it later ?

My proposition is to add a global "deallocated_size". In the slow path
of sub_count, if delta cannot be substracted then it is added to
deallocated_size and sub_count always succeeds. On the next
globalize_count, deallocated_size will be reduced as much as possible.

Are my explanation clearer (sorry if not !) ? Am I missing a flow with
this proposal ?

Regards,
Colin