Re: Question re: pam-auth-update on ubuntu

On Wed, Mar 01, 2023 at 01:33:20PM -0500, Dave Houser wrote:
> Hello,

> How do I run pam-auth-update non interactively to enable a module?
> I tried using `pam-auth-update --enable "<my module>", it
> successfully runs, but every time I run `pam-auth-update` after that the
> module shows its not enabled.
> No matter what I try the only way to enable a module is to run
> `pam-auth-update`, then manually enable it.

pam-auth-update is a tool specific to Debian and its derivatives (including
Ubuntu) and this is therefore off-topic for the upstream list.

> More context:
>
> I am running ubuntu 20.04. I have created the following pam config in
> /usr/share/pam-configs/mkhomedir
>
> Name: sssd-mkhomedir-create-home-dir-for-domain-users
> Default: yes
> Session-Type: Additional
> Session:
>         required                        pam_mkhomedir.so umask=0022
> skel=/etc/skel

> After I created it I run `pam-auth-update`, I see the entry named "
> sssd-mkhomedir-create-home-dir-for-domain-users" and enable it, and the
> module is enabled.

> If I try to run any of the following the module wont update:

> pam-auth-update --enable sssd-mkhomedir-create-home-dir-for-domain-users
> pam-auth-update --package
> --enable  sssd-mkhomedir-create-home-dir-for-domain-users

'Default: yes' means you should not have to pass pam-auth-update the
--enable argument.  You should be able to run 'pam-auth-update' by itself to
have the expected result.

If this doesn't work, I would suggest taking the question to
https://askubuntu.com/.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
slangasek@xxxxxxxxxx                                     vorlon@xxxxxxxxxx