Re: strange behaviour when password longer than 512 bytes

Any time you paste into a terminal window and a program stops accepting input, the remaining characters are passed to the next shell prompt.  This is typical behavior for any situation where you are pasting something from the clipboard, as a paste is really seen by the program as if you are just typing really fast.  The passwd program is no longer accepting input after 512 bytes, so you are seeing this behavior.

~ Brian Mathis
@orev