RE: Proper use of pam_echo

Thank you for your reply.  I'm still somehow looking at this the wrong way and I'd really appreciate a little more help...

Focusing again on the the last example where TEXT LINE 3 is not echoed...  I'm thinking that, even though the first pass was successful (I provided the correct current password), wasn't the second pass unsuccessful? (I intentionally provided an inadequate new password.)  If it were considered a success, wouldn't it write something to /etc/shadow?

Ah! Okay, so maybe it finally clicked... the first pass determines if a correct current UNIX password was provided, and that dictates the pass/fail status of the statement.  If pass, then continue processing within the pam_unix module (where it determines if the new password meets the cracklib criteria. If so, write to shadow. If not, don't. In either case, stop.)  I definitely didn't get that from the documentation.

So, did I get that right?  If so, then I have a related question which I will post separately under a new subject.
Thank you so much!