Re: Creating / Removing users "on the fly"

Hi Simon,

Thanks for suggesting some things.  I've currently got a gitolite
server running which does exactly those things.  The difference is
that on the git server, there are a few hundred users.  On this
application there could be MANY more..  Now - I haven't scaled that
far yet, and don't want to over-engineer it too much. But if I can
avoid the trouble later, I'd like to try.

So - gitolite and those people just slap it in the authorized_keys
file, and that file starts to get really long.

So - I thought, ok, I'll use the SSH hook to call a script to get the
authorized_keys. So that would work.  But that only works if the user
already exists on the system.  If it doesn't - it doesn't even get as
far as the SSH key authentication.

Hence , the desire to try and find a way to "create" the user before I
get to ssh.

Someone just recenlty suggested something about
https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Name-Service-Switch.html
And maybe that will work... Not sure.

This was what I saw: https://github.com/lnussel/pam_useradd
And it sortof does what I wanted - it adds the user. I would not need
to query for a password or anything, just get the keys from a
webservice.  But even in this - the user is still created in the users
table... bleck.

I'm digging into the NSS stuff more now.. We'll see.

Thanks!
Cary