Differences in Conversation function between distributions?

Hello all,

I'm trying to determine why there seems to be a discrepancy between PAM on Ubuntu and PAM on CentOS and Archlinux.

For example, a script that works nicely on Ubuntu ("pam_python") throws errors on the other distributions, with errors like: "pam_conv() takes exactly 3 arguments (2 given)."  Why would this be?  Are there different versions of the conversation function present in each distribution? For the record, I think the latest Ubuntu uses PAM 1.1.3, whereas the others use 1.1.6.

Best,
Mike