Re: change session's login shell

Op 26-07-11 02:34, Gary Algier schreef:
> On Jul 25, 2011, at 17:24, Tim Nowaczyk <tan7f@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 25, 2011, at 5:04 PM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
>>> So they each use their own methods like grepping /etc/passwd, doing
>>> ldap lookups, or whatever it takes to come up with a shell - like
>>> "nothing" in the case of obscure authentication methods that the
>>> application happens to know nothing about?
>>>
>> This is out of scope for the pam list, but you should know that you can simply call getpwnam so you don't have to grep /etc/passwd.  Many large installations don't even have most of their users in /etc/passwd, but use NIS or LDAP instead.  getpwnam uses NSS to get all the users/passwords/groups.  Your initial feature request might be able to be implemented by writing a custom NSS module. [1]
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Tim Nowaczyk
>>
>> [1] http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/libc/Extending-NSS.html#Extending-NSS
>
> Actually this is already handled in most NIS and some LDAP Implementations using a syntax like:
>      +@group::::::/bin/myshell    (I may be off on the number of colons).
> in the /etc/passwd file.  Read the docs for your platform's passwd
> file syntax and the nsswitch.conf file.  Solaris can do this, your
> mileage may vary.
>
> Fat fingered from my iPad -- miscorrections happen.

Oh, so it's nss providing that info. You got the number of colons
right, by the way - the syntax details about /etc/passwd can be found in
nsswitch.conf's man page (...).

So for the googler: specify "compat" as a service to "passwd" in
/etc/nsswitch.conf, and "ldap" as a service to "passwd_compat".

I set it up now with passwd/group/shadow_compat set to "ldap" and
putting a plus in /etc/passwd works, +user works, but +@groupname does
not. I don't get the group's members as output in "getent passwd", even
if the group is a local group.

--
No part of this copyright message may be reproduced, read or seen,
dead or alive or by any means, including but not limited to telepathy