PAM_IGNORE flag possibly not accepted/ignored ?

Hello,

  I'm trying to setup PAM on RHEL 4 / pam-0.77-66.25 to use Radius auth via pam_radius_auth (http://freeradius.org/pam_radius_auth/). By itself it works fine, but I would like to setup a fallback option if and only if the radius servers can't be reached.

  The module supports returning PAM_IGNORE if that's the case, via the "localifdown" option. So this means that I want a successful auth to quit the pam auth stack, an auth failure to also quit the stack (if the radius can be reached and refuses auth, it has authority, and I don't want to have another prompt or even test a local password in that case) and IF the module returns PAM_IGNORE, continue with the stack to try for local auth via pam_unix. Thus I tried this in /etc/pam.d/sshd:

----8<-----/etc/pam.d/sshd-----------
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
auth       [success=done new_authtok_reqd=done ignore=ignore default=die] pam_radius_auth.so localifdown debug
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so debug audit likeauth nullok
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so
auth       required     pam_nologin.so

  The thing is, it doesn't work.. I'm looking for pointers about what I could be doing wrong, since in tests it seems the rest of the stack is never attempted if I force a failure in reaching the radius servers...

  Is there a way for example to turn on debug info in PAM ? From the point of view of the module I've verified and it should indeed be returning PAM_IGNORE. If that's the case, it seems the line isn't really ignore by PAM. The alternative is that something else is returned by pam_radius_auth but I have no trace of it.

  Any info welcome!

  martin Richard