Re: pam_group and nss

Hi Matthew,

thank you for the advice.

Wedgwood, Matthew E schrieb:
On many systems, you can simply create the group locally and add members to it in /etc/group. The group memberships will be concatenated with those in LDAP.

Sure, but that's not the full story. The problem isn't the pam-stack at all, it is the other processes on the system like hal or dbus. They must rely on nss to lookup group membership of users, and nss doesn't use pam at all. So if I give the login-process additional memberships (via pam_group) this is for the process-hierarchy of the user and not for the user itself.

I was missing the ability to add group membership to all or some users - sure I don't want to list them all in the /etc/group.

The solution is to install consolekit (at least on a debian-lenny system) which comes with the pam_ck_connector, which does exactly what is needed: looking up groupmembership through pam!

Thanks anyway!

This assumes that "files" appears in your nss config. Something like this:

passwd      files ldap
group       files ldap

Be sure that the local group IDs match up with the LDAP groups you're targeting.

-Matthew