Re: pam_group and nss

This is a bit hackish, but you can simply create the group locally and add
members to it in /etc/group. The group memberships will be combined with
those in LDAP (with some exceptions - see below). The local group IDs should
match up with the LDAP groups you are targeting.

This assumes that "files" appears in your nss config (nsswitch.conf).
Something like this:

passwd      files ldap
group       files ldap

I cannot be sure whether this method will have side-effects, but for
commands like "id" it appears to work correctly. One place where it is
obvious is when "getent group" is run. The groups defined locally will
appear twice - once with the local members, and again with the LDAP members.
The order they appear in seems to be determined by the resolution order in
nsswitch.conf.

Matthew Wedgwood
Sr Systems Administrator
University of Texas at Austin