Re: crypt function mode

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Martin <inkubus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 12:00 -0400, pam-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

[Pavan] Thanks Martin. I was bit confused when it says that crypt uses
modified form of DES algorithm
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crypt_(Unix)#Modifications_of_the_traditional_scheme).

So these cipher modes are not applicable for storing/verifying
passwords using crypt. My requirement is to make  passwds more secure.
I think enabling shadow passwds(using pwconv) and MD5 hashes
(etc/sysconfig/authconfig) would be enough as the first step.