Re: Revisited: how to get 'auth' result?

Dan, thanks for your comments.

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 7:28 AM, Dan Yefimov <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12.11.2008 5:18, Jesse Zbikowski wrote:
>> pam_radius_auth.so
>> however, at least in my configuration, it is happy to succeed in the
>> acct request after a different module handled the auth request, which
>> breaks my scheme.
>>
> Thus your scheme is vulnerable in that respect. Rework it. Read pam.conf
> manual and look for extended syntax there.

Unfortunately I think that the advanced syntax does not help me here.
I was looking for a way to preserve state between the application
invoking the auth clause and the acct clause.  For instance:

if (auth sufficient pam_first.so) {
    acct sufficient pam_first.so
} elsif (auth sufficient pam_second.so) {
    acct sufficient pam_second.so
}

It looks like this is outside the scope of what pam.conf can express.

>> my module would internally call pam_authenticate() /
>> pam_acct_mgmt() on other PAM services, according to my specifications.
>>
> Yes, that's possible, but such a module would be hardly dependent on PAM
> internals that can be changed without notice with each PAM release.

If I understand correctly these functions are part of the PAM public
API, so my module should not break any more often than a normal
PAM-aware application.

> If your
> application is dependent on modules used and/or their order, it is broken in
> that respect.

It is non-standard because I want the PAM stack to determine the user
credentials (e.g. group membership) rather than the application,
perhaps based on which modules succeed.  From man 3 pam_setcred() I
infer that this is not the "PAM" way of doing things -- the
application is supposed to get group membership from "somewhere else".
 So I would have to put in a hack to pass group info from my custom
PAM module to the application.  I could override one of the
pam_get_item(3) items which I am not using, e.g. use PAM_RHOST to
store the group name.