RE: Notification of number of unsuccessful login attempts

I don't find using pam_tally or pam_tally2 useful.  As noted, the
unsuccessful login attempt counts are cleared once a user successfully
logs onto a system.  I'm not trying to run reports; I am trying to
inform the user at login whether there have been failed attempts and how
many of them.  Now, if there is a way of extracting that information
prior to the clearing of the counts, I'm interested.

Patti