Password passing

Hi,

I am trying a simple PAM program based on the sample in the PAM manuals, but instead of being prompted for the password, I would like to pass the password to the PAM authentication mechanism. I have had a friend say it has to prompt, but I don't see this as being valid. An example would be a smart card system - the card would supply both the user name and password without ever being prompted. I presume this is done through the conversation, but I was hoping for a simpler solution. An example conversation code piece based on the manual example would be most appreciated.

Regards
Jonathon