PAM with PHP

Hello,

I am in need of some assistance with PAM issue, hopefully some one can help.

Since we have multiple passwords that need to be changed when a user changes a password, I am making a password change web page that uses PAM to change the user's password.

I read the Application developer manual (using C) and the PHP documentation is not all that extensive. I am still not sure what function calls I would need to make this work.

So far I have:

// this works
pam_auth('username', 'userpassword',  $error);

// this doesn't
pam_chpass('username', 'userpassword', 'newpassword',  $error);

I get this error time:
"Have exhasted maximum number of retries for service. (in pam_chauthtok)"

Can some one point me in the right direction or tell me what function calls I need to make?

Thanks.