pam_ldap - unable to login as local user when LDAP is down

Hi,

I have a login problem with my LDAP setup.

I am unable to login to a client machine as a locally existing user(except root) when LDAP server is down.
It works fine when LDAP server is up.

I think the issue is with pam_ldap configuration in the system-auth pam file. My LDAP server is configured in fC3 and client machines are RH9, CentOS and FC5.

I searched a lot for a fix to it. But couldn't find a workable solution other than maintaining a LDAP backup server.

Can anyone help so that this would help me to continue work as a local user till the LDAP server come up.

Thanks :)