Re: PAM and Samba

Les Mikesell wrote:

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 18:24, Nathan Yocom wrote:

Has anyone successfully been using PAM to authenticate Samba users
using their /etc/shadow passwords?

The encryption is different. It would only be possible if you have
changed a registry setting on every windows client to make them send
the passwords in plain text.

Or have "plaintext passwords = yes" or "encrypted passwords = no" ... something like that in samba (so that it uses plain text passwords.. check the man page on smb.conf for details)

No, you have to do both. Somewhere around service pack 4 for NT,
Microsoft changed their default, making it more difficult to
use a Samba server with existing unix accounts. Current windows
clients won't send plaintext without the registry change even
if the server permits it.

Right, my apologies, the "Or" in my reply was mispoken :) both steps are required (i.e. 1 change on the server, 1 change per client).
Nate