Remote hardware authentication

I have no experience with PAM development, but I'd be willing to commit some
time to learning if the following seems reasonably possible:

How difficult would it be to implement a pass-through authentication scheme
which would allow for existing hardware PAM modules to have the hardware
access executed on the remote machine?  That is, instead of reading a local
USB device, a remote USB device would be read, for those people who are
logging in via SSH, X11, etc from a remote system.

Other ideas/whack over the head appreciated.

- Garrett Kajmowicz