Re: web authentication against /etc/samba/smbpasswd ?

Andrew Koebrick wrote:

Greetings,

I have read through the PAM documentation but am still a bit vague as to the feasibility of what I wish to do:

Can I authenticate web users against the /etc/samba/smbpasswd file?

If anyone has succeeded in this, I would be grateful for pointers to any documentation on how it is done.

Don't know why would you want to do this but the main idea is to use winbindd. It's a daemon (that is you have to start it from services) and it will serve as auth mechanism, it will "ask" samba. Now if you've configured samba to use smbpasswd the net result will be that you'll authenticate against smbpasswd. Use authconfig to configure authentication as SMB, it's the second screen. Otherwise you'll have to tweak the services files in etc/pam.d here's an example of a IMAP server doing auth against samba via pam_winbind

auth required /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth required /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
auth required /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so use_first_pass shadow nullok

account required        /lib/security/pam_winbind.so

Of course you'll need some tweaks in smb.conf for winbind to work. man winbindd