Radius PAM Authentication

All,

I am trying to get a Linux system to authenticate using the pam_raduis_so module. What I have found is that authentication will only work if there is a entry for the user in passwd file. My guess is that this is due to the fact that users that are authenticating via radius do not have a uid or gid set. Is there a way to make this work short of adding each user to the passwd file?

I suppose a larger question is if I am approaching this correctly. Basically I would like to have Linux boxes authenticate source of some type (radius perferred but could be TACACS+ or LDAP) with a minimal amount of administration required locally.

Regards,
Todd