Re: pam_adduser ?

I never did see a response. I've got one module that will fork()&exec() the add user script (security hole it is), but I would suggest building a module from scratch.

Yeah, that is a complete possibility, and I've already written up a quick pam_runscript.so, for testing, but it's a pretty cheap hack and I don't really want to exec() some random script for security purposes. (this is a production system)

Samba only uses PAM if the password is supplied in plain-text - meaning most Windows installations, by default, won't use PAM.

I don't know about that one... I've been doing so much testing back & forth the past week, but I do remember adding a pam_mkhomedir into /etc/pam.d/samba for 'session' and I think it worked OK. (and I'm using encrypted passwords)

One question is : when using PAM, does the Samba suite call pam_open_session()? functions? If so, it is possible to do an immediate clean up once verified in either the pam_open_session() or pam_close_session().

Yes, it does, but *when* it calls these functions is a bit of a mystery. Since I'm not actually mounting shares from this system, I think that 'session' will not even be called. I'm just hitting it for domain authentications... but I'd really have to test more to double check all of what I just said.

I guess this issue really isn't that big of a deal anymore -- I've decided to take the easy way out and write up some scripts to take care of /etc/passwd entries with /dev/null homes and /bin/false shells.

So... thanks for the input, but from the work I went through for this I'd rather just drop it and just whip up some quick scripts. :-)

If anyone else has had, or, will have, this same problem, maybe pam_mkhomedir could be added with a pam_sm_authenticate() with some extra features like /etc/passwd entries, etc... If the developer for that module is listening. ;-)

Thanks again!

--Cal

Joe

Cal Heldenbrand wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a project where a box is remotely
authenticating with PAM against a large user database,
and this box acts as a Samba PDC / winbind /
authentication server for a local department.

I've talked a bit with the Samba list, and I didn't
really get anything usefull back from them -- one of
the annoying things w/ Samba, is that it *requires* a
local /etc/passwd entry when 'security = user'. I can
see why this would be a nice sanity check, but this
machine does not serve homes, or any other partitions,
it will not be a shell box, or anything else... strictly domain authentication with smb encrypted
passwords.

The master database that I'm authenticating against
has around 8000+ users, plus, is dynamically changing.
 I need a way to on-the-fly add / remove /etc/passwd
entries (and not using winbind -- this is a winbind
server)

So, my main question to everyone is:  Is there some
sort of pam_adduser that works with the 'auth'
management group that will add /etc/passwd entries?

Thanks for your help!

--Cal Heldenbrand

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail