Re: pamsmb

adriano vasconcelos wrote:

I have pamsmb instaled in the samba server with Freebsd.
I instaled pamsmb in the linux: kurumin - brasilian version of the knoppix (debian). Is not authenticationed. In the log of the server, the message is: database is corrupt. The users appear, but, the passwd no.

If I understand you, it sounds like both FreeBSD and Kurumin are failing, not just one of the systems.

Then, I instaled nis. The same case.

Are the messages in the logs the same for both NIS and SMB? If no, are the modules configured properly (defaults rarely work)? If yes, you will probably get the errors if you remove the references to the NIS and SMB modules in the configuration - which should tell you that something else is wrong. Are the messages the same on both Linux and BSD?

??? There are problem in the freebsd? There are problem the criptografia of the passwd?

There are issues with passwords in Samba. By the nature of the SMB mechanisms, passwords must be stored in certain ways (I wish SMB used PAM so I could set up the unix users and not have to also reset their passwords in the smb password file). The pamsmb module is designed to go the other way.

There are tool for investigate a passwd in the process of the autentication when the server receive the passwd or when the client send?

Not that I know of.

ET.: LDAP is longer of the our objective.
Thank you. I´m sorry if my english. I´m brasilian

You write well enough that you can be understood, so do not fret much about your english. :)

Joe