Rely on string in const struct pam_message?

Hi,

I want my application to be non-interactive so I'm coding my own converation function that will interact with the PAM modules...  My question is, can I safely do string comparisons on the msg string member of the pam_message structure to decide what responses my converation function will send back?

In other words, are the existing string messages sent to an app's conversation function written in stone and expected to not change?  Or perhaps I'm going about this all wrong...

Thanks,
Dan Behman..