pam_console versus console nsswitch group?

After having some issues with pam_console applying permissions to some nvidia* files, I was wondering - would it be better to assign these devices a group of "console" and use nsswitch to dynamically assign console users?

I've had to reset the permissions of the device to 777, owner root and disable the entry in console.perms, but that does allow non-local users access to these devices.

An nsswitch module could just enumerate the entries in /var/run/console/* and return them as part of the console group. These users should then have access to the given console device.

Thoughts?

Matt.