putting cracklib check in /etc/pam.d/passwd

Hi,
I am trying to use pam_cracklib to verify the strength of password, whenever, a password gets changed. So, I have this entry in /etc/pam.d/passwd:
password required /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=MY_UNIX dcredit=2 ucredit=2 ocredit=2 lcredit=0 minlen=5 difok=4

password required pam_pwdb.so use_authtok shadow md5

I get the MY_UNIX changes when I change password, but, dont get the retry to be 3. Is cracklib failing. How do I set up debugging on this?
And, finally, should pam_pwdb be pam_unix.so ?
thanks,
-sunitha