Authenticating duplicate user in NIS & local

Hi,

I have a case where I have a user defined - let's call
him joe, both on a NIS server and in the local
/etc/passwd file. The user name is the same but the
password defined in the NIS map file and the local
passwd file are different.
So for example the local password is joe_local, and
the NIS password for joe is joe_nis.

When set up like the above, if I set my
/etc/nsswitch.conf to :

passwd: nis files
shadow: nis files
group:  nis files

then I can log in with the password joe_nis, but not
joe_local, for user joe.

Likewise if I set :

passwd: files nis
shadow: files nis
group:  files nis

I can log in as joe with the password joe_local, but
joe_nis fails.

Irrespective of the rights or wrongs of having two
passwords for one user, does anyone know of a way to
be able to get the above to authenticate ??

Any other insights welcome.

TIA

Wayne

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html