understanding 'likeauth'

Hi all,

I've been trying to find a good explanation for exactly what the
'likeauth' parameter to the pam_unix module actually does, when
(precisely) it should be used, etc.

I've found a couple of places through google searches where this is
discussed, but I'm still not sure if I get it. My understanding is that
if you have pam_unix listed as 'sufficient' and another module under it
listed as 'required', then 'likeauth' needs to be used to ensure that
the value returned by the 'sectcred()' function of the *second* module
is the one returned to the application (assuming, of course, that the
second module succeeds, of course).

This is confusing, because I though that if any part of the module
failed, the module returns a failed status, and things move to the next
module. This explanation seems to imply that multiple values are
returned from pam_unix, one for 'auth()', and one for 'setcred()', and
the failure of one doesn't mean the module fails? Is the module called
twice or something? What's the order of operations in the (quite common)
scenario of having:

auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

Why do I need 'likeauth' here? What happens if I remove it?

Can anyone shed s'more light or give a better example of the
consequences of using or not using likeauth?

Thanks,
brian