PHP Pam using PAM_AUTH .4 and mkhomedir

Ok, I have a slight problem.
First, I am using http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~ccunning/pam_auth/
PAM_AUTH .4 with PHP 4.3.3 and Apache2

I have created a file called /etc/pam.d/php and it looks like this:

auth       required     /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_deny.so

account    sufficient   /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password   sufficient   /lib/security/pam_ldap.so use_authtok
password   required     /lib/security/pam_deny.so

session    required     /lib/security/pam_limits.so

session    required     /lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/
umask=0022
session    optional     /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

I am able to login to the regular system just fine and it WILL create a
home directory. I am also able to use that php file included in the README
file and am able to authenticate just fine.  However it will NOT create a
home directory. I know the user can authenticate because if I change the
password, it doesn't give the "yeah baby, you're autheticated" message.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

I wanted to try the other php pam module (php_pam from nextexpress) but it
will not compile and I get these errors:
autoconf: Undefined macros:
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_ADD_LIBRARY
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_ADD_LIBRARY
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_ADD_LIBRARY

Thanks,