RE: I can't seem to get pam_chroot working.

Hi,

> I don't see how this is a problem relating to openssh and pam. I can login
> using ssh and pam_ldap. For some reason, my session drops when the
> environment is chrooted.

what happens is that in the middle of sshd's execution your session is put
into the chroot jail. And sshd expects to find everything exactly as it
was when executing in the original root.

I suspect that your chroot environment is somewhat incomplete. Possibly a
device file that is missing. Or some other file that sshd wants to open.
Perhaps syslog can pick up some hints (debug level).

One other possibility might be other PAM modules. Almost every time the
application makes a call to libpam the module stack is run through for
this service. (/etc/pam.conf (or /etc/pam.d/sshd) _might_ not be needed.
But I don't really know.) And there may be PAM calls after the process is
put into the chroot environment.

Have you configured your sshd to use login? If so, login, its PAM
configuration and every module it desires have to be in the chroot
environment

I don't know about OpenSSH. But at least for SOLARIS 2.6 and ssh 1.2.26 I
got this module working. (But just as a proof of concept and not for
production use. And since this was half an eternity ago I don't remember
any details. Sorry!)

If all else fails you have to track system calls of sshd while trying to
log in.

Tobias
--

  Tobias Schaefer				Phone	07071-9457-0
  science + computing ag			FAX	07071-9457-27