Re: Dynamically creating users if !exist

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 08:40, Joe Lewis wrote:
> Harold Martin wrote:
> >>The module you are looking for sounds like you
> >>are trying to perform a "allow unless the passwords don't match" thing,
> >>rather than a "allow if the passwords match".
> >
> > Not really sure what you mean there. The logic is something like
> >
> > if (user_exists) {
> > 	if (password_is_correct) {
> > 		login;
> > 	}
> > 	else {
> > 		error;
> > 	}
> > }
> > else {
> > 	if (login_is_local) {
> > 		create_user;
> > 		login;
> > 	}
> > 	else {
> > 		error;
> > 	}
> > }
>
> Good re-state using pseudo-code.
> >>If hardened, and power cycled, do the accounts disappear?
> >
> > No, why would they?
>
> Because the accounts weren't hardened with the core system.  You'd have
> to have a persistent form of storing the accounts from powercycle to
> powercycle - either that or a really trustworthy ups.
I've really lost you here.
My idea is jsut to copy a template account for the new user.
This would then be all on the HD, right?
> >>  How do you verify that a user (even if the account hasn't been
> >>created) is allowed to connect, even if the account isn't created?
> >
> > Didn't think of that one, hence the login_is_local stuff above.
> > Of course I don't know if testing if the login_is_local is possible.
> > Refer to my first two statements in this email.
>
> You can indeed test if the login is local, but to test that, there's got
> to be a method or a criteria for determining "local" vs. not.  Perhaps
> you're looking for something that sets the password the first time
> someone logs in?
For my purposes, local=someone typing on the physically attached
keybaord and getting feedback through the physically attached display.

Let me know what you think...

Thanks a ton,
Harold