Re: Making Linux use Blowfish for passwd/shadow encryption

Re: Making Linux use Blowfish for passwd/shadow encryption
From:
Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:33:17 -0800
To:
pam-list@xxxxxxxxxx

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 06:34:58PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 03:11:33PM +0100, Mark Watts wrote:

I'm currently converting an old OpenBSD box to linux, and I need to move the user accounts across.

Short of cracking the blowfish password hashes in master.passwd, can I make Linux (PAM) use blowfish instead of md5 so I don't need to convert the hashes?

Yes.

The easiest is to install a distribution which already includes
support for those hashes "out of the box".  You can try ours:

http://www.openwall.com/Owl/

Or one from ALT Linux team:

http://www.altlinux.com

Alternatively, you may "patch" the support into whatever distribution
you have, using these packages:

	http://www.openwall.com/crypt/
	http://www.openwall.com/tcb/

is there any particular reason more distros haven't adopted these
patches?  all the major players already distribute strong crypto so
that can't be the reason...

Well, if all the applications that would need to authenticate use PAM, someone could write a PAM module (or a patch on pam_unix) that checks if the stored hash is a Blowfish hash (what's the code, $2?) and checks it itself, and if not, passes it on to crypt(). That would take some coding and a knowledge of Blowfish, but it's not as invasive as installing a new libc.

I've done something similar using Apache password hashes - expect to see me post the code to this list within the next couple of weeks.

Rennie deGraaf

-- -ASCII silly question, get a silly ANSI. -????