Module is unkown - again

Dear list,

there has been some discussion about a specific version of some PAM
libraries being buggy in the past. This bug led to the error message "Module is
unknown" when trying to do a passwd. Unfortunately, this is the same for sshd, so
I cannot log into the machine any more. I can only boot it from a rescue
system, mount the root filesystem and chroot then.

The problem occured after I did some updates to the system. I am not sure,
but I think I changed libc6 to a newer version. But I did not touch libpam* or
anything in /lib/security.

Q1: How can I debug what's wrong? Might the libc6 version have an impact?
What is the difference between libc and glibc?

Q2: If I switch sshd from password authentication to public / private key,
does this surpass PAM so I cat at least get in again and work this out later?

Torsten