Re: can't authenticate in apache using PAM

Did you do a http configuration for PAM? The mod_auth_pam uses the "http" service name, and if that fails, it falls back to "other", which your configs show as "no users allowed".

Joe

joão garcia wrote:

hi everybody , i have been trying to use PAM authentication in my apache web server since two Weeks i have been trying, i really need some help.
that's what i have been done so far:

1) download mod_auth_Pam.tar.gz for apache 2.0.xx
2)tar -xzf mod_auth_pam.tar.gz
3)cd to the directory
4)make
5)make install
everything compiled without errors
6)in httpd.conf i had the following lines:
LoadMolude auth_pam_module modules/pam_auth_module.so
<directory /var/www/html/family/>
AuthPAM_Enabled on
AllowOverride none
AuthName "Family Secrets"
AuthType basic
Require valid-user
</directory>
7)cd /etc/pam.d
my configuration files look like this

login:

account required /lib/security/pam_unix.so
auth requisite /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth required /lib/security/pam_unix.so
session required /lib/security/pam_unix.so

passwd:

password required /lib/security/pam_unix.so

other:

account required /lib/security/pam_deny.so
auth required /lib/security/pam_deny.so
auth required /lib/security/pam_warn.so
password required /lib/security/pam_deny.so
password required /lib/security/pam_warn.so
session required /lib/security/pam_deny.so

8)service httpd start
starting httpd: OK

then i go to my browser an type my URL
and when i enter in the directory family
i get a prompt box asking me user name and password
i put my user name (one of the local user names) and i get the same box again and again and again ....
i check the error log and he says :

[Wed Sep 03 17:58:49 2003] [error] [client my ip address] PAM: user 'my user' - not authenticated: Authentication failure, referer: http://my ip address/

i think until now i have tried everything and i don't know what else can i do.
i really appreciate if anyone could help me

regards

JGarcia