Can I enforce password history for root with pam_unix remember?

I am attempting to use pam_unix to enforce password history (remember=#), and using it in conjuction with pam_passwdqc enforce=everyone to enforce minimum password requirements for root changed passwords also.  It seems, however, that when root resets / changes a user's password, password history in pam_unix is bypassed.  Is there something I am overlooking that will make my history rules apply to root's actions as well as normal users?  Or is there a different pam module that will help me enforce history, and also apply it to root?

Warren Bauder, wb@xxxxxxxxxxx
Director of Architecture Planning
Zoot Enterprises, Inc.  www.zootweb.com
555 Zoot Enterprises Lane, Bozeman, MT 59718
ph. 406.556.7458   fax: 406.586.8005
Copyright (c) 2003 Zoot Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved. This email, including any attachments, is confidential and may not be redistributed without permission. If you are not an intended recipient, you have received this message in error; please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer.