Re: Allowing Guest access with PAM

Marshal Newrock wrote (on Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 12:38:47AM -0400):
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Nachman Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
>
> > Using RH 7.3 2.4.20-20.7 with pam-0.75-46.7.3.i386.rpm and
> > netalk-1.5.2-3.i386.rpm. I'd like to allow guest access to
> > Appletalk. How do I do so?
>
> I believe this is accomplished through netatalk itself.  Configure it to
> have public shares.  It is possible to set up netatalk with both public
> and private shares at the same time.  Unfortunately, I don't have the
> details handy.
>
> --
> Caution: Product will be hot after heating

Thanks, Marshall.

Ok, I figured it out. I needed "-uamlist uams_guest.so ..." in
/etc/atalk/afpd.conf. Interestingly, even though the netatalk package
installs itself in /etc/atalk, asnd even though I know it looks there for
AppleVolumes.*, afpd.conf must be in /usr/etc/netatalk to be looked at. Weird.
So, I made a symlink and I have guest access.

But it never solved my (off-topic) original problem: why AppleTalk/Netatalk
refuses to display folders/files created after a particular date (the Guest
access disappeared around then, too, so I thought Guest access would solve my
problem). Oh, I think it's an Apple problem (running Mac OS X), not a linux
one, b/c the files display properly in Finder, but not in applications which
use the Classic environment, e.g. Quark (of course). Weirder.

Whatever.

Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, EA, LLM         awacs@xxxxxxxx
Attorney and Counselor-at-Law           http://yankel.com
Economic Group Pension Services         http://egps.com